We are moving

We are creating a new site and an area for more discussion and participation please follow us on Worksearch.ie

Monday, September 21, 2009

References available upon request

The one key requirement of any new hire, contractor, or service provider in today's market is the ability to deliver results. If we break it down, a good CV demonstrating achievements and results will get you an interview. A well prepared for and well executed interview will go along way to securing work. However most employers will now follow up on the references you provide. As Henry Ford put it "you cant build reputation on what you're going to do". Reference checking is a crucial part of recruiting a great team according to Guy Kawasaki is his book "The Art of the Start.The goal of referencing is not to disqualify a candidate, but to look for consistency in how the candidate represented themselves. Employers are also looking for clues about whether the candidate can be effective in the organisation.

So here are two considerations;

1) Spend time considering the references you provide, ensuring they reflect the most recent period in your career and will add real insight into who you are, what you do and how well you do it.

2) Someone who you put forward as a reference is also a useful resource when it comes to preparing your CV, cover letters, interview preparation and maybe even the process of working out your next steps. So here is a novel idea, how about calling a previous employer, colleague and conduct a reference check. I am sure they will embrace the idea and give you some honest, useful feedback. Typical reference check questions below;

-What are your general impressions of me?
-How would you rank me against others in similar positions?
-What contributions did I make to the organisation?
-How do others in the organisation view me?
-What are my specific skills? What am I best/worst at?
-What are my communication and management styles?
-In what areas do I need to improve?
-How would you comment on my work ethic?
-Would you work/hire me again?

No comments:

Post a Comment